March 11-17 is Termite Awareness Week and Terminix Service, Inc. is spreading the word with 10 preventative measures to protect your home from subterranean, dampwood and drywood termites.
The National Pest Management Association estimates termites cause roughly $5 billion in damage every year, and a single home infestation can cost up to $8,000.
“Termites leave very few clues of their presence, so it’s important to take necessary precautions to protect your home before costly damage occurs,” says Kevin Hathorne, technical director at Terminix Service, Inc. “The first step is to have your home inspected by a certified professional to look for signs of termite activity. The reason most homeowners insurance doesn’t cover termite damage is because it’s something that could have been prevented.”
Preventative measures include:
1. Repair plumbing leaks.
2. Make sure gutters and downspouts are not clogged or damaged and are directing water away from the foundation. Install gutters if you don’t have them.
3. Point sprinklers away from your foundation.
4. Prevent any pooling water next to your foundation by re-grading the soil so that water flows away from your house, or install a drainage system like a French drain.
5. Keep your roof in good shape and free of leaks.
6. Repair and replace damaged siding and flashing.
7. Store firewood, scrap lumber, or any other wooden products as far from your house as possible.
8. Do not use an excessive amount of mulch or pine straw around the foundation.
9. Trim any adjacent bushes and trees.
10. Make sure your crawl space has adequate ventilation and a moisture barrier, like the kind offered through the Terminix Humidi-Seal system.
Regardless of the type of termite, locally-owned Terminix Service, Inc. provides a termite control protection plan with the strongest guarantee in the business. For more information, visit online or call 1-800-TERMINIX.