In Summerville, termite control is an important part of owning any property. If you own a home, termites can cause hundreds to thousands of dollars in damage and repair costs. However, with the right termite inspection and termite control measures these risks can be significantly reduced. This Ultimate Guide to Termites provides you with all the information you need to know about termites in Summerville and how to protect your property from termite infestations. Here, we discuss the different types of termites that live in South Carolina, tell-tale signs of termite damage, common areas where termites love to hide out, and finally how best to prevent these nasty pests from infiltrating your property. With this comprehensive knowledge on termites in Spartanburg you are sure to be ready if any should come your way!
In this guide, we’ll go over the following:
- Types of Termites in Summerville
- Signs & Damage of Termites
- How to Prevent Termites
- Termite Inspections in Summerville
- How to Get Rid of Termites
Summerville Termite Types
The most common types of termites in Summerville are Eastern Subterranean termites and Formosan termites – but there are some cases of Drywood termites as well.
Subterranean vs Drywood Termites
Subterranean termites make mud tubes to tunnel through the ground and invade your home from below while Drywood nest directly in the wood via attics and other entryways from above. Drywood termites live in the wood they feed on and are mainly problematic in coastal areas, but some do tend to find their way to Summerville.
Found in the warm, moist soil of South Carolina and near damp or rotting wood (their favorites!), Eastern subterranean termites are the most common species in the Summerville area. These pests live in the soil and build extensive mud tubes to get to the wood they eat.
Formosan termites are very active in the coastal South Carolina region and Charleston surrounding area. Formosan termites are a type of Subterranean termite that reproduces at a much higher rate than Eastern Subterranean termites. A colony of Formosan termites can create more damage in a smaller period of time. This makes it critical to stay vigilant against these termites in particular.
Drywood termite colonies are much smaller than subterranean colonies and it takes them a long time to do significant amounts of damage. Since they don’t come from the soil, there will be no dirt or mud tubes associated with their damage. Drywood termites require a specialized treatment whenever they become an issue.
LATEST POSTS FROM OUR BLOG
Signs & Damage of Termites
It’s absolutely critical to be on the lookout for signs of termites to prevent them from establishing a colony and taking a bite out of your home.
Swarming and Shed Wings
Blistered or Hollow Wood and Sagging Floors
- Fecal Droppings
How to Prevent Termites
In addition to looking for signs of termites, there are a few other best practices you can use to discourage termites from choosing your home to infest.
- Discard any rotting wood or old tree stumps from your property.
- Place piles of wood, like firewood or mulch, far from your home’s foundation.
- Keep water pipes in your home maintained and regularly repair leaky faucets.
- Minimize wood to soil contact near your home.
- Seal off all cracks from your home to the outside.
- Put bushes and landscaping at least two feet from the edge of your home.
- Keep your drainage systems unblocked at all times and route them away from your home.
- Regularly look for signs of termites and arrange for a yearly inspection.
Termite Inspection in Summerville, SC
It is important to have a termite inspection done regularly in Summerville to identify and treat any termite problems early.
What to expect with termite inspection:
- 1-2 hours for inspection
- Check interior and exterior of home for termite signs
- The inspector will review: attic, garage, baseboards, walls, windows, crawl spaces, door frames and the inside of cabinets to name a few, foundation, walls, roof & surrounding property
- Please make sure technician as access to any of these areas for proper inspection
How to Get Rid of Termites in Summerville, SC
If you’ve discovered signs of termites in your home Summerville there’s no need to panic, but you should act quickly. If you want to eradicate an infestation completely, the best way to do so is to call a Terminix expert who will be able to quickly identify the source of the problem and apply the right solution.